Well - our usual luck with flying back to the states hit (literally) once more. We got up at 2:30 am to get ready for our flight out of Istanbul airport that was scheduled for 5:55 am. We got to the airport at 3:55 am, found our line for check in... and then found out that all passengers making a connection in Amsterdam had to move to another line. Instant flashback to our return through Amsterdam in 2005 when we ended up in line for 8 hours to re-book a cancelled flight... yikes! We eventually found out that our plane to Amsterdam had suffered a thunderstrike and was delayed until 11:55, so they were trying to help us make other connections. After watching people in front of us get delayed until tomorrow, we got to the agent and she immediately gave us our re-routing - Istanbul to JFK then to Minneapolis! Arriving only 11 hours later!

The best part came when we checked in for the flight to JFK and found we had been bumped to business class and got our passes to the lounge! So there is a silver lining to our cloud...

So... I think this is really the last post - at least I really hope so!
5 comments:
What an interesting/crazy way to end your trip! I hope you all have safe travels!
Ashley says she can continue to house sit till you guys get back :)
Yay!!! Thanks Colin! Thanks Ashley!
Wow! So you actually got a more direct flight? Straight to JFK rather than through Amsterdam? Wonderful!
I've never been bumped up to business class, but I HAVE been in one of those lounges while taking a "Behind the Scenes Airport Tour" once. They sure out-class what is provided for us common-folk!
Welcome home! (Mary says it's 27 below in Brainerd)
:) see the next blog entry (in a few minutes)... things did not quite work out and we are still in Istanbul...
Post a Comment